Wednesday, 31 December 2014

The next chapter...



2014 saw the final part of the Blackbrooke trilogy released, making it a pretty big year. The best part of three years of my life was writing it and I've loved every second. The promotion continues, but I now have to move forward. So, what will 2015 bring?

In 2012, I left a stressful full time career in PR and began work as a bookseller to free up my time to write. As far as jobs go, it will probably remain the most fun I've ever had. I finished my shift and went home to write, not having to think about work until the next time. I got to understand the way the book industry works and even managed to get Blackbrooke on the shelves.

After 18 months of this I realised I missed making money. It doesn't make you happy, and I swore I wouldn't make myself stressed again, but I wanted to see more of the world. My amazing partner and I scrimped every last penny and managed to get away to Boston and New York last January, something I'd always dreamed of doing. During this trip, I made the decision to get back on the career ladder to be able to afford something like that again without us having to live off Morrison's own brand pot noodles for months (it's a miracle we both didn't end up with scurvy).

Sticking to the theme of writing, I got a job as a copywriter in March and it began again. The money was slowly coming back and we managed to get away again to see my mum in the States (and catch WWE's Money in the Bank, naturally). We had a fantastic year of travel and good times.

With every give there's a take though. My writing time suffered. Some might think finishing a book is no mean feat, but I could have written another one, or maybe even two this year, if I wasn't so invested in my 'day job'. I've since got a new job, which I start on 12th January, and I'm genuinely excited, but with it comes nervousness.

What if it happens again and I write zero in 2015? What if I'm stressed? What if we have a couple of lovely holidays, but I achieve nothing? I worry too much, it's a fact. I shouldn't put such pressure on myself, but I'm a writer. If I'm not writing then what am I doing? I might make a boss happy with my work output, I could even achieve more of the precious money I've been chasing, but will I remember any of that when I'm old and grey? Nope. I'll remember the books though. Plus, they may be the only part of myself I leave behind.

New year brings resolutions, and this year is no exception. I have some time before I start my new role, 12 days to be precise, and I'm going to write a novel during this time. I'll start the year on a positive and remember what I'm doing all of this for. Not being able to dedicate all of my time to the thing I love is tough. Maybe one day I'll strike it lucky and be able to write full time, but until that happens I'll do what I can.

This may seem like a negative post, but I'm feeling upbeat. I still have control of my life, just as you have control of yours. If a job takes over and you start forgetting who you are, have a serious think about what you really want. I left a job without another to got to back in 2012 and started again. If this serial worrier can do it, so can you.

I'd love for you to follow my journey from zero to novel in 12 days! I'm not going to post anything to make you feel bad, to 'show off', or to gain praise, I just want to share what I'm up to.

To all of you that read the Blackbrooke Trilogy, I'd love to hear from you and get your thoughts too. Drop me a line!

Happy New Year all! I'll see you on the other side!

Em x



4 comments: